Business Consultant (Grant-Funded)
This is a grant-funded position. Grant-funded positions expire either at the end of the stated term or whenever funding for the position ceases.
Mohawk Valley Community College provides accessible, high-quality educational opportunities to meet the diverse needs of our students. We are the community’s college, committed to student success through partnerships, transfer and career pathways, and personal enrichment.
The College is looking for exceptional colleagues to join the MVCC community. We are currently seeking a full-time Business Consultant to work in the Mohawk Valley Small Business Development Center located downtown at the MVCC ThINCubator space. The Business Consultant works with new and existing business owners, providing one-to-one client advising, startup assistance, development of business plans and financial projections, technical advice, as assistance locating potential funding sources. Successful candidate has excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to effectively work in a project-oriented and self-directed environment. Mohawk Valley Community College and the Mohawk Valley Small Business Development Center are committed to the success of the local small business community, and the Business Consultant plays an important role in that mission.
Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Provides business advisement services to a variety of small businesses and entrepreneurs engaged in starting, managing, growing, or purchasing a business;
- Provides one-to-one client advising, business plan development, and technical advice;
- Assists clients with completing cohesive and marketable business plans;
- Assists clients with locating potential funding sources;
- Analyzes, prepares and structures financial statements;
- Assists with automated and manual record keeping systems;
- Assists clients with problem solving in areas of specialty;
- Assists clients with marketing their business including but not limited to advertising, promotion and marketing surveys;
- Provides client follow-up services, gathers and reviews written feedback from clients;
- Refers clients to resources in accordance with Small Business Association (SBA) guidelines and procedures;
- Provides advisement reports, progress and/or other special reports;
- Assists in the design, developments and presentation of business development workshops, seminars and courses that focus on the needs of clients;
- Assists with the recruitment of SBDC clients and program participants;
- Collaborates with council partners that promote small business development;
- Other related duties as assigned by the Small Business Development Center Regional Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field, and a minimum of two (2) years’ management level experience in private sector business or related public technical assistance environment, or Associate's degree in business or related field and a minimum of six (6) years’ management level experience in private sector business or related public technical assistance environment
- Effective written/verbal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively work in a project-oriented and self-directed environment
- Possession of a valid driver’s license at the time of hire and throughout the duration of employment
Special Instructions to Applicants: Official academic transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date: 12/5/2022Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action,
Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of excellence,
equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive learning environment in
which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities,
governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse,
multi-cultural, and global worldview. We value the many similarities and
differences among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing
students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world made up of
people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds,
religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, different
abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status
or on the basis of disability.